Choosing the kind of food to feed your dog can be just as challenging as choosing the dog in the first place! Over the last few years the introduction of new kinds of food has been more prevalent, making it even more confusing to know what foods are best for your furry best friend. While determining which food is best for your dog, it is important to remember that different breeds and types of dogs may require different things in their food, so one type of food may not be the best for each and every dog. It is always best to check with your veterinarian to make sure you are providing your dog with the healthiest diet.
This list has been compiled by consumer research and a compilation of pet food reviews, as well as veterinarian reviews:
10. Taste of the Wild High Prairie – A grain-free formula for all life stages with sweet potatoes and peas provides highly digestible energy for your active dog. Supplemented with fruits and vegetables, this hearty formula delivers natural antioxidants to protect your friend’s body from the damage of everyday living, supporting a healthy immune system and overall good health.
9. Innova EVO 95% Chicken & Turkey – EVO provides animals with energy and nutrients derived from meat-based proteins and highly digestible fats. This is a canned food.
8. Wellness Core – Each kibble is packed with a high concentration of quality animal protein, without fillers or grains, along with a proprietary blend of botanicals and nutritional supplements including probiotics.
7. Solid Gold Barking at the Moon - This dog food uses healthy oils packed with omega fatty acids such as canola oil and salmon oil. Over the years they have updated their formulas as new nutritional research has become available. For instance, a few years ago they added taurine to all our dry dog foods to help protect against dilated cardiomyopathy.
6. Innova EVO Turkey and Chicken Formula – EVO provides animals with energy and nutrients derived from meat-based proteins and highly digestible fats. This is a small bites dry dog food.
5. BLUE Buffalo Wilderness Duck Recipe – BLUE Wilderness is a high-protein, low carbohydrate food that contains a higher concentration of the delicious duck dogs love and is specially formulated by animal nutritionists.
4. Canidae Chicken, Lamb, and Fish All Life Stages – All Natural Dog Food Formula with Three High Quality Meats: Chicken, Lamb, & Fish, Plus Essential Vitamins & Chelated Minerals, as well as balanced Omega 6 & 3 Fatty Acids. CANIDAE® All Life Stage formula meets the AAFCO Dog Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.
3. Newman’s Own Organics Organic Beef & Liver – This food has gone through a third-party certification process that validates that at least 95% of the ingredients are organic. Even the manufacturing facility is inspected by an accredited agency to validate cleanliness, manufacturing procedures and record keeping as well as that food ingredients are indeed certified organic.
2. Natural Balance Ultra Premium – The making of this dog food is based on proven scientific facts, not marketing hype! Nothing about this formula has been overlooked. The ingredients, the sources of those ingredients, the nutritional value, the palatability, the effect on the stool, and the effect on the coat have all been carefully reviewed when creating this formula.
1. Orijen Adult Formula – Orijen is recognized by experts as a very high-grade dry dog food. It contains no grains, relying instead on potatoes for carbohydrates. Experts note that potatoes are also a good source of B vitamins and minerals. All other ingredients are of very high quality and include whole fruits such as apples, vegetables such as carrots and sweet potatoes, whole eggs and more. There’s also a good assortment of herbs, botanicals and probiotic microorganisms.
Always consult with your veterinarian when choosing the healthiest diet for your dog.